Welcome
Welcome to BCFC, a fans forum for Birmingham City Football Club.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

For the older posters on here

Moderators: whorwe, Reesa, Bubba, NevBCFC, pimo

For the older posters on here

Postby The Missionary » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Here's a video that I put up on youtube a good while ago (it was my first attempt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOz-z_UQkCE

The images used in the clip are scans that I took from about six photo albums that my old man (RIP) left to me.

They were taken up at our old Elmdon training ground by him and my Mum in the late sixties - about half of them are autographed.

Hope you enjoy.

Steve
The Missionary

Re: For the older posters on here

Postby Doctor_Blue » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Nice one Steve! That team didn't exactly set the world alight, but most of them were around when I first started going in 66. Good memories.
Doctor_Blue

Postby stevebrum1875 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Fantastic montage Steve don't remember seeing any of them play but remember my dad talking to me about them. Top video :u
stevebrum1875

Postby Oldman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Some are a lot older that 69, I would have thought....fine Vid...take 10 brownie points.

TBH...you can be milk monitor.
FA KIN SU PA

Oldman

Postby The Missionary » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Oldman wrote: TBH...you can be milk monitor.

Stera or Pas ?

P.S. Definitely 68/69 they were taken OM. :11
The Missionary

Postby claud butler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 pm

The Missionary wrote:
Oldman wrote: TBH...you can be milk monitor.

Stera or Pas ?

P.S. Definitely 68/69 they were taken OM. :11

Well done Stevie a nice trip down memory lane great post.
[b]Contribution equals colaboration[color=#0040FF]
claud butler

Postby the1972squad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Remember them all. Trevor Hockey played on all 92 league grounds, Jim Heriot(goalkeeper) rubbed mud under his eyes to prevent glare in floodlit games, Barry Bridges scored with overhead kick to beat Arsenal in FA cup 1968, and Fred Pickering headed the winner against Chelsea in the same year (over 52000 at both games at ST Andrews) before Albion luckily beat us in the semi final at Vile Park. Johnny Vincent had the longest throw in the division and a great left foot.Thanks for the memories.
the1972squad

Postby Harborne1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:32 pm

SUPERB...Enjoyed that!

KRO!
Harborne1

Postby Brian1875 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Note the autographs, most were legible unlike many of the current players who have to add their squad number so you know who it is.
Had the pleasure of working with Phil Summerhill in setting up a football league in Tyesley, he is a true gent. He was a free scoring left winger, from memory he got 16 or 17 in one season, oh for the likes of him today.
Brian1875

Postby stevebrum1875 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Brian1875 wrote:Note the autographs, most were legible unlike many of the current players who have to add their squad number so you know who it is.
Had the pleasure of working with Phil Summerhill in setting up a football league in Tyesley, he is a true gent. He was a free scoring left winger, from memory he got 16 or 17 in one season, oh for the likes of him today.

They would probably sell him for half a million ROFL
stevebrum1875

Postby oldbluenose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Memory lane, indeed, Barry Bridges, [ ex,Chelsea,] as was Bert Murray, [ winger, converted to v/good r/back,]!!.
oldbluenose

Postby mr pazz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Great vid,great memories of some top players.Fred Pickering was a favourite of mine,Ron Wylie ,a true gent of the game,Trevor Hockey, the pin up boy,Barry Bridges ,that goal against Arsenal was world class,will never forget it.Johnny Vincent not only had a great throw he had a fearsome shot on him,he got the winner against Palace in the 89th min in off the underside of the bar,Im sure the bar was still shaking on Sunday morning.Happy days indeed.
mr pazz

Postby prewarblue » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:12 pm

oldbluenose wrote:Memory lane, indeed, Barry Bridges, [ ex,Chelsea,] as was Bert Murray, [ winger, converted to v/good r/back,]!!.

And astronomic fee,s paid for them ,,,,£50,000 for Murray and £55,000 for Bridges !! :grin:
prewarblue

Postby prewarblue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:41 pm

One player no-one has mentioned "Geoff Vowden",,,,,,part of the Blues "V Bombers",,,,,no mention of the goal from just inside the opposing half,,by Geoff, into the net keeper never saw it, nor the Tilton till it hit the back of the net !
prewarblue

Postby flipper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 am

I think Steve Lee was the captain of the great youth team we had back then. A "right half" as they were known. He was a real powerhouse type of player and looked to be destined for great things. Sadly it never came to fruition and I am pretty sure he was at Bromsgrove Rovers for a while and then just seemed to fade away. Nice memories bought back prewar and thanks for them.
flipper

Postby prewarblue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

flipper wrote:I think Steve Lee was the captain of the great youth team we had back then. A "right half" as they were known. He was a real powerhouse type of player and looked to be destined for great things. Sadly it never came to fruition and I am pretty sure he was at Bromsgrove Rovers for a while and then just seemed to fade away. Nice memories bought back prewar and thanks for them.

Anybody remember the game the team got booed off the pitch because they had won by only 4-0,,,,,,after the 2 previous home games had been won 6-1 and 6-2, and the 3rd game was the easiest of the three !!!

Or the night game when Blues won 12-8 with the ref giving a VERY dodgy pen to ensure Mal Beard got on the score sheet ?. or the oppostion keeper was Ernie Hunt [Coventry Winger ] 5ft 6 in platform boots,,,,Tommy Lawrence [Liverpool keeper] 15-16 stone playing as a flying winger ?.

Centenary game v Celtic won by a pen,,,,,Blues fans outnumbered by the Celtic fans,,,, with Plymouth Corperation bus,s parked outside and Devon Celtic Supporters flags flying across the fronts, think there was about 5 of them !!,,,,,gate of about 17,000,,,,12,000 Celtic and bottles flying everywhere !! ROFL ROFL :3 :lol: :lol: :lol:
prewarblue

Postby flipper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am

Blimey the Malcolm Beard testimonial! I think Malc had to retake the penalty as well cos he messed up the first one. Great night that was.Superb servant to the Blues and a belting shot he had.
flipper

Postby prewarblue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:03 pm

flipper wrote:Blimey the Malcolm Beard testimonial! I think Malc had to retake the penalty as well cos he messed up the first one. Great night that was.Superb servant to the Blues and a belting shot he had.

YEP retaken pen,,,,,cos he missed deliberately [think the retaken he had no choice,,,,everybody else was stood nattering in front of the Tilton and wouldnt come up to take it,,,,dont think there was going to be any doubt he was going to score either,,,,,,Ernie Hunt leaning on a post while he tapped it into the net !!,,,,,,or the reason it was given first time !! Mal stood talking to the ref,,,Ernie tying up his boot lace supposedly behind Mal, he stepped back fell over Ernie, PENALTY !!,,,,, the score does not suggest it was a good game but it was brilliant football with skill shown and all the party tricks coming out.

The Celtic game was not played in the same sprirt though,,,boots flying in all directions [sometimes with legs still inside them, not joined to bodies !! ] and that was on the terrace,s,,,,,,,,only game I ever went to where the opposing Fans took the Tilton, and the Railway and the mainstand while Blues fans stood as if in a cattle crush surrounded and Zulu,s trying to get into the middle of the women and kids for protection from hairy arsed jock nutters foaming at the mouth on "Special Brew",,,, being a hero type,kept my missus in front of me for protection all the way through the game,,, MY PROTECTION NOT HERS !! ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
prewarblue

Postby ExPatJohn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:24 pm

prewarblue wrote:
flipper wrote:Blimey the Malcolm Beard testimonial! I think Malc had to retake the penalty as well cos he messed up the first one. Great night that was.Superb servant to the Blues and a belting shot he had.

YEP retaken pen,,,,,cos he missed deliberately [think the retaken he had no choice,,,,everybody else was stood nattering in front of the Tilton and wouldnt come up to take it,,,,dont think there was going to be any doubt he was going to score either,,,,,,Ernie Hunt leaning on a post while he tapped it into the net !!,,,,,,or the reason it was given first time !! Mal stood talking to the ref,,,Ernie tying up his boot lace supposedly behind Mal, he stepped back fell over Ernie, PENALTY !!,,,,, the score does not suggest it was a good game but it was brilliant football with skill shown and all the party tricks coming out.

The Celtic game was not played in the same sprirt though,,,boots flying in all directions [sometimes with legs still inside them, not joined to bodies !! ] and that was on the terrace,s,,,,,,,,only game I ever went to where the opposing Fans took the Tilton, and the Railway and the mainstand while Blues fans stood as if in a cattle crush surrounded and Zulu,s trying to get into the middle of the women and kids for protection from hairy arsed jock nutters foaming at the mouth on "Special Brew",,,, being a hero type,kept my missus in front of me for protection all the way through the game,,, MY PROTECTION NOT HERS !! ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Celtic were GIVEN the Tilton, not took it. I remember the blues and celtic fans going hell for leather at each other at the fence.
A few weeks earlier I had stayed the night with a Scots lad named John at Yardley because he wanted me to play football for his team the next day. He was a Blues fan. Midway through the first half he's being marched off0around the pitch by 2 bobbies bloodied and battered giving it all to everyone around. He was wearing green and white!
After that match, my local was the Greenway. I was the darts team captain, so of course me and the Mrs went over the road there. Not a Blues fan in sight, just us 2, and a few jocks. All they were interested in was having my Mrs scarf as a souvenir. They didn't get it, but I did have the back up of the paddy's in the bar.
I've never seen John again since that night.
Who can remember this old establishment?

ExPatJohn
Site Admin

Postby prewarblue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:57 pm

ExPatJohn wrote:
prewarblue wrote:

Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Celtic were GIVEN the Tilton, not took it. I remember the blues and celtic fans going hell for leather at each other at the fence.
A few weeks earlier I had stayed the night with a Scots lad named John at Yardley because he wanted me to play football for his team the next day. He was a Blues fan. Midway through the first half he's being marched off0around the pitch by 2 bobbies bloodied and battered giving it all to everyone around. He was wearing green and white!
After that match, my local was the Greenway. I was the darts team captain, so of course me and the Mrs went over the road there. Not a Blues fan in sight, just us 2, and a few jocks. All they were interested in was having my Mrs scarf as a souvenir. They didn't get it, but I did have the back up of the paddy's in the bar.
I've never seen John again since that night.

Funny you should say about scarve,s my Blues scarf [cheap tatty thing] was swopped by a Celtic fan on the run,,,,slowed him down greatly when the lead sewn into the ends smacked him on the head,,, he had a expensive looking one so grabbed that and headed off rapidly in the other direction to a boxing club in Camp Hill [Stratford Rd ] by the old fly over,,,,thought I would be safe there,,,,,,all paddys and when this jock comes steaming in with a Blues scarf in his fist,,,,,well I KEPT CLEAR,,,,those Catholic Paddys gave the proddy a right shoeing and kicked him out of the door and the Blues scarf tied tightly round his neck,,,,,was always welcome in that club till it was knocked down,,,,only bloke to bring a live punch bag into the place ever ROFL
prewarblue

Next

Return to TV, Films, Video's and music chat